Menu
Home

Mother’s Day In The Time Of Coronavirus

Mother's Day In The Time Of Coronavirus

Mother’s Day is coming up but it’s not looking promising that quarantine will be over. Since I was raised by a single mother, Mother’s Day has always been kind of an important holiday at my house, so I’m glad I’m in lockdown with M. Whether you’re together or apart, here’s how you make the holiday great!

Food

The typical Mother’s Day meal is breakfast, and really, who doesn’t enjoy breakfast food? I’ll be cooking pancakes with fun toppings here, because M hardly ever convinces me to make them at the moment, and she loves them so much. With that, I’ll toss together some bellinis (one part fruit nectar – peach is the classic choice – to one part sparkling white wine). If you can’t be together, send the ingredients for bellinis to your mom, maybe with a pretty glass to drink them from, and have breakfast delivered. UberEats, GrubHub, Postmates, and DoorDash are solid companies to start looking at options from. Particularly as restaurants try to survive the income, the range of places offering delivery is expanding right now.

Entertainment

If you’re not together, download the Netflix Party extension right now and send the link to Mom. It’s the simplest way to “watch” together, and you can even leave Skype on in the background so that you can talk about the movie as you watch. What to watch? Try movies about excellent mother-child relationships, like Mamma Mia (both parts!), Freaky Friday, Bad Moms (ok, not excellent relationships, but it’s really funny!), Dumplin’, and Stepmom.

You can also set up a chat on Houseparty or via Skype to play some games, like trivia or Heads Up. This is a particularly good option if you also have siblings who need to celebrate the day as well, as all of you can have fun with Mom together!

Gifts

Well, you definitely have to get it shipped, and you need to order it now to head off any potential shipping delays, particularly because you can’t really rely on Amazon right now. I certainly admire their decision to focus on shipping essentials, but that doesn’t help you with a Mother’s Day gift! This is the time to surf the Etsy website.

I insist that you get your mother this shirt as a keepsake of a very unique year.

Mom Shirt Mother's Day Gift Mother's Day in image 0
Etsy – Symbolic Imports

Then consider a spa kit, a birthstone necklace, or my personal favorite, this letter blanket! It’s so thoughtful, especially when you take the time to write a letter, and it’s perfect for her to snuggle with in quarantine.

Love Letter Blanket: Personalized Mother's Day Gift Woven image 0
Etsy – FrankiePrint Co.

Make sure you take a little extra time to make this year very special – we’re all seeing just how many families learn that time is often too short, so make the most of what you have!

22 Comments

• Lauren
    April 20, 2020 at 1:50 pm

These are some great ideas to help celebrate even though everyone is still in lockdown. Thank you for sharing your ideas!

• admin
      April 21, 2020 at 1:02 am

I hope everyone makes a big thing out of the holiday this year – everyone could use some good vibes!

• Deandra
    April 21, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Great ideas! I need to start thinking about what I want to give my mom because I have to have It shipped for sure.

• Philippa Claire
    April 22, 2020 at 5:22 pm

Our mother’s day in the UK was just after the lockdown started and it was definitely a weird one! I think most people who lived nearby their parents left presents on the doorstep.
    These are some awesome suggestions, I love the idea of delivering breakfast to them – a great way to treat mum from afar!

• admin
      April 22, 2020 at 8:11 pm

It’s a small thing but I think it can really be a mood booster! I just ordered the mother’s day gifts for relatives back in the states, and I’m making arrangements to “spend time” with them.

• Sophie Wentworth
    April 22, 2020 at 9:13 pm

We’ve already had mother’s day here in the UK and it was a weird one. I had to get (order) a last minute small gift for my mum and postpone the main thing that was planned. We were going to take my nan for afternoon tea so I made her one at home, dropped it in the porch of her house then video called her so we could all have it together as a small gesture to make up for not being physically together x

Sophie

• admin
      April 22, 2020 at 11:40 pm

That’s lovely!

• I'm All Booked Up
    April 23, 2020 at 1:39 pm

A Netflix party is a great idea!

• admin
      April 23, 2020 at 4:19 pm

It could definitely be fun and help everyone feel connected!

• Sherry
    April 24, 2020 at 2:19 am

These are wonderful ideas! I know I would totally love a Netflix party. Simple drop off gifts and drive by is what we’ll do for my MIL. We are all going to have a lot of parties and events to make up for after all of this is over. Hope you have a great weekend!

• admin
      April 24, 2020 at 6:52 am

Multiple post-pandemic parties are an excellent idea if you’re close by! Hopefully this ends soon!

• Ellen Best
    April 24, 2020 at 2:41 pm

I had my Mothers day in isolation, my daughter her husband and one year old George came, they had a flip chart with glorious messages flowers and gifts all in the garden as we watched through tearsfrom behind the bifold doors. And to top it all off George stood up a and took his first wobbly steps to the door where he slobbered a kiss or ten, not to me but for our rescue dog Lilly who returned the licks with a wet nose pressed into the glass from one side to the other. I just cleaned the windows inside and out before they arrived. But it pained me to clean the love fromvthe glass. A very special isolation Mothersday gift. X

• admin
      April 24, 2020 at 9:54 pm

That’s adorable! And I imagine the effort in this Mother’s Day will matter more than most!

• Shelbee on the Edge
    April 24, 2020 at 4:36 pm

Aw, what a lovely post! That Mother’s Day in quarantine tee shirt is so great! Thanks for sharing these fun ideas and for linking up with me.

Shelbee

• Giulia
    April 25, 2020 at 2:54 pm

I got my mom a teacup but not sure how I’ll get it to her now. I can always wrap it nicely and place it outside her door and then go back into the car. But these are all wonderful ideas!

• admin
      April 25, 2020 at 6:02 pm

That’s a good idea to wrap it and leave it, and she’ll appreciate that you thought of doing so! Fill the teacup with hershey’s kisses since you can’t give her a hug right now!

• Irene Smith
    April 25, 2020 at 5:21 pm

My mother is living with us, so I’m fortunate to be able to spend Mother’s Day with her.

Maybe a special breakfast followed by the movie “Mother’s Day” will work. And, since my son also lives with me, it gives us an opportunity to make something special of the day too. Maybe he can make dinner and we can extend the party to the whole day.

Thank you for your suggestions. I’m ashamed to admit that I hadn’t really thought about Mother’s Day until I read your post which I found as a result of the Blog post thread on Twitter! (I’m @Story_Teller there, by the way.)

• admin
      April 25, 2020 at 6:04 pm

I’m lucky there too, that my mom lives with me, but my grandmother and aunt are not only not in the same house, but overseas! So I’m having to get creative. I’m glad you saw the post early enough to be able to do something!
      Having your son be a part of it and making it a whole day event is even better! People are under so much stress right now, a really special day can alleviate some of that.

• Ann
    April 26, 2020 at 4:53 pm

Very helpful ideas for Mother’s Day! Thank you for sharing at Party In Your PJ’s.

• Britt K
    April 26, 2020 at 10:39 pm

I am definitely sad that I haven’t had a chance to visit my mother recently (we usually head north around Easter and celebrate Mother’s Day at the same time), so we’re going to be looking into options to have something delivered as a surprise for her. I just need to do a little research to find out what my options are given they live out in the middle of nowhere… I know that most restaurants won’t deliver, but I’m sure there’s SOMETHING that I can find!

• admin
      April 27, 2020 at 3:50 pm

If you go onto a local community site, you may also be able to find someone in the area who’s willing to pick something up and deliver – people are looking for ways to help others right now!

• Blondeaccountantabroad
    April 30, 2020 at 4:03 pm

In the UK our mothers day was during lockdown and I was lucky enough to be isolating at my family home so could share it with her however these are some great ideas for some birthdays during lockdown.

• Busy Monday 414 | | A Pinch of Joy
    May 2, 2020 at 12:25 pm

[…] Bake   Must Have Mom – Favorite Kid’s Camping Recipes  Mid Summer Life Dream – Mother’s Day in the Time of Coronna  Virus  Marilyn’s Treats — Safely  Freezing Meat      It’s My Sustainable […]