Menu
Books

Nora Roberts Challenge – Month 1

Nora Roberts Challenge Month 1

So I’ve decided that in 2020, I’m going to do the Nora Roberts Challenge and read everything Nora Roberts has written. I’m a major fan of her books – I like her writing style, the storylines, and how while romance is present, it’s not always the focus of the book. I’ve read a lot of her books, but with over 200 written, I know I’ve missed a number of them, so I’m going to read or reread everything – I have a list to be sure – and document it here. If you want to do it with me, let me know!

The Irish Born Trilogy

I started with the Born In trilogy – I’ve read them before, but not for years. The three books tells the story of three sisters in Ireland who have to make peace with their father’s early death and an affair he had (one sister is a half-sister), the mother’s general unhappiness, and their own romantic futures. The characters are well-developed, as Roberts’ characters always are, although you can tell this is one of her earlier works as the storylines are a bit flat and predictable. Of the three, Born In Shame is probably my favorite – I particularly like the male main character in it, and I think it’s the most interesting of the three, but because of how intertwined the stories are, you do need to read them all and in order!

The Gallaghers Of Ardmore Trilogy

Nora Roberts writes a lot of trilogies, and her stories tend to be so big that three books work well for her. The Gallaghers covers the story of three Irish siblings – two brothers and a sister – who need to fall in love to fulfill a centuries-old faery spell and reunite two star-crossed spirits. The mystical aspect is a wonderful addition – very fitting with the Irish setting, as it seems to me that Ireland is maybe just a bit more inherently spiritual or connected to mystical forces than some other places. You know what I mean – those places that just feel like more, like Sedona, AZ or Salem, MA. I’ve stumbled across those places sometimes and it hits you like a ton of bricks. Anyway, with faeries, ghosts, and other spirits being such an inherent part of the culture, weaving an old tale into the novels elevated the storyline just a bit. The second book is probably the best, although the third has my favorite character. It’s a good series, although not Nora Roberts’ best…probably because she just gets better with age.

The Dream Trilogy

I feel like in this trilogy, Nora Roberts really hits her stride. The books tell of three “sisters”, although their relationship is more by choice than actual relation. Each faces a complete change in the life they’ve built for themselves and they have to completely reevaluate their course. I hadn’t read this trilogy for a long time, and I forgot how much I liked it, so it was nice to read it again. The third book is my favorite by a narrow margin – I just connected to the characters the most in that one.

Public Secrets

(1990)

This book was excellent, although a bit dramatic and Danielle Steele-like. It spans about 25 years in the life of a girl who has a junkie mother, a rock star father, and a murdered brother, as she struggles to face the demons closing in around her from every side. I finished it in one night because I couldn’t seem to put it down, but this isn’t one I’ll reach for too often. It’s fairly dark for a Nora Roberts novel, but not a bad choice if you’re looking for a new book.

Unfinished Business

(1992)

I’d never read this book before – surprising since I’ve read so many of her books, but also the reason I wanted to do this challenge. It was…fine. This novel was, to be honest, a fairly generic romance novel. The characters were a bit one-dimensional, all the issues were tied up neatly and quickly in the last few chapters…there was just nothing spectacular about it. Since she has so many books that are amazing, just skip this one.

Month 1 – 11 books. I’m going to have to step it up a notch if I’m going to finish by the end of the year, but I know I can do it!

*Posted on The Monthly Book Bloggers Linkup. For other linkups I participate in, go here.*

23 Comments

• Joanne
    March 2, 2020 at 8:35 pm

What a fun challenge! I love her books… are you including those that she wrote under her pen name JD Robb too?

• admin
      March 2, 2020 at 10:33 pm

I will be! The newest one came out last month, but another comes out in September, so I’m planning on reading the series to coincide with that release. I love the Eve Dallas books, so it is really hard to not read the latest one! But I’m excited to read books I missed!

• Jennifer Jones
    March 3, 2020 at 1:53 am

I do love a book challenge but I’m not sure I could read so many books written by the same author in one year. I’ve never read a Norah Roberts book but will definitely put one on my TBR after reading about your challenge. Good luck with your challenge. Visiting from Elines. Sharing

• admin
      March 3, 2020 at 11:05 am

You should definitely read one of hers! I like that she delves into different genres – reading her books can be like reading from different authors. If you give her a shot, try one under her name and one under her pen name, JD Robb (it’s all one series – the first book is Naked In Death). Thanks for visiting!

• Karren Haller
    March 5, 2020 at 4:10 pm

I love her books and was intrigued, I was hooked for months for the Trilogies!
    Great challenge, thank you for sharing with us on #ohmyheartsiegirl.
    Be sure to stop by each week to share your latest updates!
    Enjoy your week!

• admin
      March 5, 2020 at 7:53 pm

Thanks for letting me share!

• Sherry
    March 5, 2020 at 7:33 pm

I love love love Nora!! Unfinished Business is on my list right now.

• admin
      March 5, 2020 at 7:54 pm

She’s one of my favorite authors, so it’s fun to reread books or catch ones I’ve missed.

• Laurie
    March 6, 2020 at 1:39 pm

I have never read Nora Roberts. Maybe this is the nudge I need to finally give one of her books a try.

• admin
      March 6, 2020 at 3:31 pm

You may really like her! Try one under her name and one under her pen name, JD Robb – the latter is a futuristic murder mystery series, so it’s pretty different.

• Michelle
    March 8, 2020 at 2:31 pm

What a fun challenge! I really enjoy her books, too.

• Shelbee on the Edge
    March 8, 2020 at 4:57 pm

Super fun challenge! I once took it upon myself to read all of the fiction works that have won a Pulitzer Prize. I completed the task and it was a fascinating example of how our ideals have changed when it comes to judging great literature. But reading anything is such a great escape! Now if I get my kids on board with that philosophy! Thanks for sharing and linking up with me.

Shelbee

• admin
      March 9, 2020 at 7:10 pm

I did all the banned books once, and enjoyed it, and one time I asked family and friends for their favorite classics – that’s how I read The Count of Monte Cristo, which I loved! Reading challenges are a great way to find new books!

• Stephanie 139a
    March 8, 2020 at 6:55 pm

I don’t think I’ve read any of her books – guess what I’m going to do once I’ve posted this comment?? Thanks for joining us at #PoCoLo – you’re very welcome!

• admin
      March 9, 2020 at 7:11 pm

Let me know how you like them!

• Elaine Livingstone
    March 8, 2020 at 10:12 pm

I liked her dream trilogy but our library don’t have many of the others on audio book – my preferred method of “reading”
    Often nice to fall in love again with books you have not read in a while, My memory is that bad I will have long ago forgot what happens in a book so re reading is not an issue. #PoCoLo

• admin
      March 9, 2020 at 7:12 pm

Have you looked on archive.org? I’m finding a lot of the ones I don’t own on there (in text format, but they do have audiobooks!). I actually have a good memory, but some of these books I haven’t read for 20 years!

• chickenruby
    March 11, 2020 at 4:36 pm

A fab challenge, i have to alternate genres when I read or I end up mixing all the books up. Thanks for linking up with #pocolo and hope to see you back on Friday

• Tina at Mommynificent
    April 2, 2020 at 1:08 am

I don’t think I’ve ever read Nora Roberts, but I totally go on author binges like this. Have fun! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com!
    Tina

• admin
      April 2, 2020 at 3:56 am

I’ve never done this big of a binge, but I’m having fun re-reading old favorites and finding new ones I love!

• Dinesen Schneider
    April 3, 2020 at 9:41 pm

I am really pleased to say it’s an interesting post to
    read.
    Best regards,
    Dinesen Schneider

• Jannie Schoeneck
    April 9, 2020 at 4:03 pm

It was helpful. Keep on posting!

• izzi.co.il
    April 9, 2020 at 8:35 pm

It was helpful. Keep on posting!